Monday, March 14, 2016

project updates

The month of March has begun, so obviously the quilting portion of my brain is exploding all over the place with new ideas. The winter lag has been shaken off, and this is where I traditionally bite off more than I can chew.

It's a good time for me to overview my current projects. I don't want anything getting too neglected.

The Gemini quilt hasn't progressed at all. I have been trying to find the perfect border. The idea I had in my head while I was piecing this ended up being a little bit stupid, so I need to find something else. As you can see, I have a new idea. I've been working on some combinations that will fit in with the design, but won't be so over-complicated that I won't want to work on it.






Then there's this little gem. A good friend of mine pieced this wall hanging from a collection of peacock inspired fabrics she fell in love with. I got the chance to do the quilting and binding. All that's left for this one is a good washing and a sleeve for hanging. I've never done a sleeve before, so naturally this has been sitting around at my house for a couple of years, now. Haha... Sorry Trish!


The same friend has not had much time to work on the blue and white Christmas quilt she's been planning for quite some time. So she turned over her fabrics to me, and I'm going to play around with them. These are amazing fabrics that I'm excited to work with. Also, I found a few in the box that clearly did not belong to the Christmas quilt... I am planning to barter for them later on. (Or maybe just steal them.)





And because I didn't have enough to work on, I decided to start a new project with some scraps I've been wanting to play with.





I haven't definitively decided exactly what this will be, but I know who it's for. We'll see if I can get it together and at least have a few of these quilts done before 2017.

There are three other quilts that aren't making this update. My Dreamer patchwork quilt feels like it's never going to be done (still actively quilting it). But it's something I will continue working on in my down time. There's also my big, red Aries quilt, which has been on the quilting frame since my son was born (5 years, if you're counting). Then there's my mothers heirloom quilt. That one is freaking huge, and must be hand-pieced. It's hexies, so hand piecing is really not slower than machine piecing.  Plus, when you're hand piecing, you can hear the tv :) But I put off working on it most of the time. It's so big, it feels a little hopeless. That'll be one I'll have plenty of time to work on once I'm checked into a retirement home. (For reference, I'm going to be 35 next month, so the heirloom quilt remains on the high shelf in the closet.)

No comments:

Post a Comment